Friday, March 23, 2007

Coney Island Crime

Well, I spent a large hunk of my evening in the riding in the back of a police car, finding out about local crime. Unfortunately I ended up in Gravesend and Sheepshead Bay, close, but no Coney. There was confustion with the person who set up the ridealong for me, precinct 61 is located on Coney Island Avenue but not in Coney Island, an easy mistake. Still, they were able to to tell me a bit about the crime surrounding Coney and even what is common in Coney herself. Due to a waiver I signed, I can't write about my experiences, but I can show you some of my research-

Here's how precinct 60 describes its command:

3.4 square miles, ten housing projects, five distict communities: Sea Gate, Brighton Beach, West Brighton Beach, Bensonhurst and, of course, Coney Island.

Major Thoroughfares: Belt Parkway, Ocean Parkway, Coney Island Avenue, Shore Parkway.

Schools: 16 Elementary Schools, 3 Jr. High Schools, 4 High Schools

Houses of Worship
Catholic 3, Jewish 24, Islamic Mosques 3, Other 15

Notable Institutions:

Coney Island Hospital

To Read Coney's Comstat Crime statistics click here. Apparently crime has been dropping like a rock for some time now...at least the crime they report! Just kidding, sleep tight.

No comments: